admins worst nightmare...

Stephen Adler adler-wRvlPVLobi1/31tCrMuHxg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 8 15:43:35 EST 2010

Guys,

I discovered that my 6 terabyte file does not seem to be working
properly... I did a copy of a gigabyte sized file to find that the
original and copied md5sum's to differ.... uggg.... I'm doing a
filesystem check right now, but I'm wondering if you guys have any
thoughts on what may be going on with the file system. It's an ext3 file
system mapped over a software raid 5 raid array. When I created the file
system, I used all the default mkfs parameters for a journaled file
system. (i.e. mkfs -J /dev/md127; where md127 is my raid device.)

When I checked a small file, several megabytes in size, the copy and
original had the same md5sum.

Is there a tool which will give you a summary of how different binary
files are? will diff work on a gigabyte sized file?

Cheers. Steve.