OpenOffice and Microsoft Office

Chris O'Connell omegahalo-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 9 09:55:18 EST 2010

Hi Aldo,

I've been using Open Office at home for over 7 years.  I even converted my
old company (American Business Telephone) to OpenOffice to save money on
licensing costs.

I found that so long as EVERYONE was using OpenOffice in my organization the
product was fine.  Because we didn't collaborate much with the outside world
we never had an issue.  That being said, we did have compatibility issues
with one user who decided to go against the grain and use MS Office.  Simple
things like formatting often were not compatible.  I am not certain about
the compatibility with Office 2007 files.

>From a user training perspective:  OpenOffice has an interface that is VERY
similar to MSOffice 2003 and lower.  There should be a minimal learning
curve.

This is a good discussion topic.  I'm interested in what everyone else has
for experience converting from MSOffice to OpenOffice.

Chris