Report on files by type

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg-SfI3QVg0eaJl57MIdRCFDg at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 10 17:33:10 EST 2010

I got a drive from someone today, with 3.2 GB worth of content on it, and I
quickly wanted to find out what was on the drive by 'content type'
(mime-type)

find -type f | egrep -o '\.(.?.?..)$' | sort | uniq -c

did the trick for me, but left me wondering what File Manager or other tool
does a better job of this?

Is there something like "Disk Usage Analyzer" [1], which is great for a
quick summary, plus offers the ability to drill down etc. which also offers
other perspectives besides "size"? E.g.  report on mime-type, or group by
age?

[1] http://diskuseanalyzer.sourceforge.net/

Greg Rundlett