Reminder -- RAID 5 is not your friend

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 11 14:01:18 EST 2010

Regardless of which RAID level, Mark Dulcey if I recall made a very
important point, and that is if you have disks from the same
manufacturer and the same lot number, the chances of a simultaneous
failure is pretty decent. Im my case, I have a Seagate and a WD. Now, if
I could only get pvcreate to work (not only did it fail in the way I
posted a while back, I ended up doing a complete reinsatall of Fedora
12, and it failed during the write to disk phase. I was able to install
SuSE 11.2 with RAID1, but upon boot, it was unable to locate the root
partition. Being that I prefer Fedora at this moment, I reinstalled
Fedora 12 and will file a bugzilla in the near future.

--
Jerry Feldman<gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
Boston Linux and Unix