Linux backup software .. that meets unique requirements

Tom Metro tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 12 01:00:49 EST 2010

David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> 6) Does not require that you periodically take the network i/o storage
> hit of making a new full backup.  (This is not an option, as what the
> data I want to back up is getting large, and I only want to do it once.)
>
> * duplicity doesn't satisfy #6.

I haven't used duplicity, but I don't see why this behavior would be so
ingrained in the architecture that it couldn't be changed via a
configuration or minor patch to the code. (Even if a patch is necessary,
it should be far less work than inventing a whole new backup tool.)

> Anyone have any suggestions here?

Try Rsyncrypto:
http://rsyncrypto.lingnu.com/index.php/Home_Page

I believe it meets all of your criteria. If I remember correctly, it
works with a standard rsync server on the remote end.

(I haven't tried out Rsyncrypto in several years, and it was in a rough
state when I looked at it, but it appears to have been under active
development since then.)

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro