file system check software

Dan Ritter dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 12 11:32:51 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:09:41AM -0500, Stephen Adler wrote:
> Guys,
>
> As I move through this corrupted file system problem, I'm going to have
> to wipe out my 7 terabyte file system and rebuild it. But not that I
> live in a world of data paranoia, I'd like to run some kind of file
> system checking software. Does something like that exist? Basically I
> need to write large (multi gigabyte files) filled with random numbers
> and copy them around and do diffs and md5sum checks. This should go on
> for about a week of continuous write, read and checking.
>
> I could probably put a shell script together to do this, but it would be
> great if there were something 'out there' that did the job for me....

My first thought is that bonnie++ does some of this.
http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/

What it doesn't do is check on accuracy, but it wouldn't be too
horrendously difficult to add that as a feature, especially
since that's something that Coker wrote in Postal/Rabid, his
mail system performance tester. (You might even suggest it as a
useful enhancement for bonnie++ 2.0.)

If you end up scripting it, I think bonnie++ runs alternating
with AIDE ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/aide/ ) runs will do
most of what you want.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.