Reminder -- RAID 5 is not your friend

Richard Pieri richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 15 15:01:25 EDT 2010

On Mar 15, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Kent Borg wrote:

> If you have enough controllers you might want to add new disks to each
> pair (making for trios) before removing the aged disks. (Though you say
> "controller", which sounds like hardware raid, which might not support
> raid 1 trios.)

Not feasible.  It's a 3ware 4-port SATA controller with a 4-disk cage.  I could replace the controller with an 8-port model but I'd still only have room and power for 4 disks without going external, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to mix internal and external bus connections for RAID sets.

If I were to expand the storage I'd use RAID 50 rather than triple mirrors.  I'd get better performance and better fault tolerance with RAID 50.

--Rich P.