Reminder -- RAID 5 is not your friend

Richard Pieri richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 15 16:01:06 EDT 2010

On Mar 15, 2010, at 3:37 PM, Kent Borg wrote:

> Yes, you do what you can with what you can, though I was thinking you go
> triple just while that replication to two the new disks was going on.
> Disks do have infant mortality risks, the chance of a newish source disk
> dying during that second rebuilding is not trivial.

That's why I'm rebuilding old1->new1, pull old1 when finished, rebuild new1->new2.  So if I lose a new disk off the bat I should hopefully have a working copy, barring restoring backups.  Which, by the way, is a PITA when the failed server is the dom0 and the previous admin set it up such that each virtual disk is a logical volume under LVM.

--Rich P.