FCC on broadband

Matthew Gillen me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 15 22:35:22 EDT 2010

The NewsHour tonight had a couple things relating to the FCC:

Interview with FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski
http://newshour-tc.pbs.org/newshour/rss/media/2010/03/15/20100315_broadband.mp3

Another interview with a technologist from a non-profit:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/03/betting-on-broadband.html

I'm a little disappointed that they (the FCC) seem to be concentrating on
/just/ increasing speed and access, and not talking at all about issues I
think are ultimately more important, like common-carrier status.

I'm encouraged that they're talking about getting competition going, but I'm
always skeptical of politicians when they tell me what I want to hear (not
that I don't trust their good intentions, but rather I question their
ability to actually make substantive changes when organizations with deep
pockets stand to lose their monopolies/duopolies).

Matt