Drive disposal

jay-R5TnC2l8y5lBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org jay-R5TnC2l8y5lBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 22 13:22:47 EDT 2010

These are dead or dying office drives, or old scsi production drives.  Working office drives and other hardware we dban and find new homes for.

------Original Message------
From: Bill Horne
Sender: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
To: BLU
Subject: Re: Drive disposal
Sent: Mar 22, 2010 1:07 PM

On 3/22/2010 12:27 PM, jay-R5TnC2l8y5lBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I've started looking into some low volume drive disposal, and was curious what options others use.  My main requirments are:
>
> 1. Reasonable for low volume, 25- 50 drives every 6 months I would guess.
>
> 2. Provide cerification that will pass hipaa requirments.  Basically chain of custody, degausing and shreding.  We deal with a lot of pharma companies, and would like to use similar standards.
>
> 3. Resonably local, and allow drop off or local pick up options.
>
> My searching online has turned up SEM out of westboro, that meets all these.  And their site quotes a rate of $5 a drive for lots of 26-100.
>
> Anyone have any advice on companies and costs?

If you're talking about drives that are still usable, you might do
better with organizations or individuals (I'm one) who recycle machines
for low-income users. If HIPAA allows for the "secure erasure" of
drives, then you could save at least some of the recycling cost by
donating drives to these places.

Bill

--
E. William Horne