ubuntu terminal directory

Dan Ritter dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 25 09:12:39 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 09:02:18AM -0400, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> > hi.
> >
> > in ubuntu gnome terminal it shows your current directory.  this annoys
> > me.  why take up 3/4 of the first line with my path.  i already know
> > where i am...  i just want a dollar or pound.  i've poked around the
> > profile config but don't see how to change this.  anybody know?
> >
> > eric at littledragon:/media/My Passport/music/RipdCDs/Led Zeppelin/III$
> >
> > _yuck_
> >
> > eric at littledragon$
> >
> > _much nicer_
> >
> > thanks for any tips,
> > eric c.
> >

> i found it.  it's in bashrc.  PS1.  yippee!

I prefer this:

dsr at tao:~
$

Yes, it's two lines. The first one is suitable for cut and paste
operations, and it can go a full line width letting me know
where I am. Meanwhile, the line I type on has near-maximum width
for the command itself.

In bash:

PS1="\u@\h:\w\n\
$ "

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.