Blocking a URL

Tom Metro tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 27 21:22:01 EDT 2010

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Every once in a while I get a new Firefox window...
> I have tried to use adblock to block this URL explicitly...

I've noticed in the past few months that I'm seeing pop-up ads in
Firefox 3.0.x. My understanding - and my past experience - has been that
Firefox's built-in pop-up blocking has been adequate to stop these and
the adblock extension is only needed if you want to eliminate on-page ads.

Apparently ad produces have found a way to thwart Firefox's pop-up
blocker. What's worse is that on Ubuntu 9.04, if you manually close the
pop-up windows, it pretty much always crashes Firefox. (If you close the
window responsible for generating the pop-ups, then the pop-ups seem to
go away without incident.)

I'm seeing these pop-ups most frequently on LinkedIn, and at least one
other place that I don't recall. Anyone else seeing them and have you
found a remedy?

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro