Blocking a URL

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 28 07:45:25 EDT 2010

On 03/27/2010 05:06 PM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> The fundamental question, though, is what is causing that page to pop
> up?    What OS? (I presume Linux based on this email list, but only
> you can answer definitively).    Did it happen when you got the
> machine, or recently, or when?
>
> Is it Firefox that came with the OS (if a Linux version), or obtained
> from mozilla's web site, or possibly some other source (maybe an
> application you have installed it)?   Maybe your ISP made some change
> or installed it?
>
> Do your system's event logs reflect when this might have started?
>
> I just as well presume aim to fix problem at the source rather than
> trying to place temporary fixes around an existing problem. =20

Currently it is Fedora 12. It has been an annoyance for quite a while.
It generates a windows only occasionally from one of the news sites (
not sure if it is fox, msnbc, or another). With adblock plus, I can look
at the ads that are being blocked. I have added plulse360 to my
blockable list.

On 03/27/2010 09:22 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> I've noticed in the past few months that I'm seeing pop-up ads in
> Firefox 3.0.x. My understanding - and my past experience - has been
> that Firefox's built-in pop-up blocking has been adequate to stop
> these and the adblock extension is only needed if you want to
> eliminate on-page ads.
>
> Apparently ad produces have found a way to thwart Firefox's pop-up
> blocker. What's worse is that on Ubuntu 9.04, if you manually close
> the pop-up windows, it pretty much always crashes Firefox. (If you
> close the window responsible for generating the pop-ups, then the
> pop-ups seem to go away without incident.)
>
> I'm seeing these pop-ups most frequently on LinkedIn, and at least one
> other place that I don't recall. Anyone else seeing them and have you
> found a remedy?=20
I have not had this problem. While I have seen a few firefox crashes,
other than pulse360, I don't seem to have an issue with popup ads.

On 03/27/2010 10:11 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Use an outboard filtering proxy such as GlimmerBlocker or Adzap.
>
>  =20

GlimmerBlocker is specific for Macs. Adzap requires a Squid proxy server.=
 This is a possibility if I were having more problems, but for simply 1 s=
ite, either the Dave Kramer hack or possibly blocking the IP address in m=
y firewall.=20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846