Blocking a URL

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 28 10:51:58 EDT 2010

On 03/28/2010 08:31 AM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  =20
>> On 03/27/2010 05:06 PM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>>    =20
>>> The fundamental question, though, is what is causing that page to pop=

>>> up?    What OS? (I presume Linux based on this email list, but only
>>> you can answer definitively).    Did it happen when you got the
>>> machine, or recently, or when?
>>>
>>> Is it Firefox that came with the OS (if a Linux version), or obtained=

>>> from mozilla's web site, or possibly some other source (maybe an
>>> application you have installed it)?   Maybe your ISP made some change=

>>> or installed it?
>>>
>>> Do your system's event logs reflect when this might have started?
>>>
>>> I just as well presume aim to fix problem at the source rather than
>>> trying to place temporary fixes around an existing problem.
>>>      =20
>> Currently it is Fedora 12. It has been an annoyance for quite a while.=

>> It generates a windows only occasionally from one of the news sites (
>> not sure if it is fox, msnbc, or another). With adblock plus, I can lo=
ok
>> at the ads that are being blocked. I have added plulse360 to my
>> blockable list.
>>
>> On 03/27/2010 09:22 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
>>    =20
>>> I've noticed in the past few months that I'm seeing pop-up ads in
>>> Firefox 3.0.x. My understanding - and my past experience - has been
>>> that Firefox's built-in pop-up blocking has been adequate to stop
>>> these and the adblock extension is only needed if you want to
>>> eliminate on-page ads.
>>>
>>> Apparently ad produces have found a way to thwart Firefox's pop-up
>>> blocker. What's worse is that on Ubuntu 9.04, if you manually close
>>> the pop-up windows, it pretty much always crashes Firefox. (If you
>>> close the window responsible for generating the pop-ups, then the
>>> pop-ups seem to go away without incident.)
>>>
>>> I'm seeing these pop-ups most frequently on LinkedIn, and at least on=
>>> other place that I don't recall. Anyone else seeing them and have you=

>>> found a remedy?
>>>      =20
>> I have not had this problem. While I have seen a few firefox crashes,
>> other than pulse360, I don't seem to have an issue with popup ads.
>>
>> On 03/27/2010 10:11 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
>>    =20
>>> Use an outboard filtering proxy such as GlimmerBlocker or Adzap.
>>>

>>>      =20
>> GlimmerBlocker is specific for Macs. Adzap requires a Squid proxy serv=
er. This is a possibility if I were having more problems, but for simply =
1 site, either the Dave Kramer hack or possibly blocking the IP address i=
n my firewall.

>>    =20
> If, in fact, firefox is the problem,
>
> - possibly try: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>
> - possibly considering changing browsers - Google Chrome, Konqueror, et=
c.

> As we've all learned, no single operating system is perfect, no single
> application does the job.   We use a swiss army knife suite of tools
> to get things done.
I've got Chrome installed. One of the issues is that it is hard to
reproduce as I think it is cookie based. I've got the Kramer hack
installed. I may remove that and see if I can reproduce it.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846