"snapshot" RAID

Tom Metro tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 28 17:12:54 EDT 2010

Dan Ritter wrote:
> That doesn't solve the oops problem.
>
> That said, my primary data storage at home uses both RAID and
> rsnapshot.

Earlier in the thread I suggested creating snapshots on the primary
drive (which is something I already have implemented), to cover the
"oops" scenario, and then the snapshots get mirrored along with
everything else to a secondary drive to cover a more catastrophic failure.

> Losing data this way is more common than catastrophic disk or
> filesystem failure in my experience, so recovering from it
> gracefully is more useful.

Agreed.

But unless you are tight on storage on the primary drive, why not do both?

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA