Perl

Tom Metro tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 28 18:01:08 EDT 2010

David Hummel wrote:
> It sounds like you're dealing with some very poorly written Perl code.

Perl is a comparatively old language (pre-web), and there is a large
base of poorly written code that helps give it a poor reputation.

Modern Perl, both in functionality and appearance, would be almost
unrecognizable to casual users or those who have left the language years
ago.

I'm doing some research into why developers have shifted from Perl to
Python, Ruby, etc, and would be interested if any BLU members who have
made that transition would care to elaborate (off list) on your reasons
for making the switch.

I'm actually less interested in personal preferences, and more
interested in knowing why your employer or you as part of a team of
developers collectively chose to use something other than Perl for a new
project. (As David pointed out, you use the right tool for the job, so
I'm referring specifically to projects that fall within areas of Perl's
strengths; as he noted, that wouldn't be a desktop GUI. Most other forms
of web-related or back-end processing, would apply, including many areas
were Java currently dominates.)

As a reminder, please reply off list. I'm not looking to start a
language debate thread. Thanks.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro