Tape vs disk cost

Jack-rp9/bkPP+cDYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org jack-rp9/bkPP+cDYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 28 21:45:38 EDT 2010

Long term stability of tapes is also an issue.   LTO's have a timing
track pre-recorded, so it
should help.   Sofar I haven't found any really good archive media
(like rock-stable 50 year life)
that has any reasonable access time and cost per unit, including r/w device.

The current best I have found for large amounts of data is tape (in
some reasonably current form),
or 'archival DVD's.  But just about every media needs to be read and
checked regularly (every year
or so on tapes, 3 to 5 years on DVD's.  And eventually moved to 'new
media' to refresh the longevity
of the bits.

Some software like IBMs TSM can do this if you configure it correctly.
 But again, you still have to
deal with drives, media, libraries, and software license fees.

Like I said... no good permanent answer (at this point).

><> ... Jack
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart... Colossians 3:23