Tape vs disk cost

Edward Ned Harvey blu-Z8efaSeK1ezqlBn2x/YWAg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 29 07:44:46 EDT 2010

> > Tapes when properly recorded, handled  and stored provide the
> > best cost per byte.
>
> Looks like this is still true, but only if you're storing a LOT of
> bytes. I looked up media sizes and prices; the current state of the art

Everytime I re-examine this, roughly speaking, the breakeven point is approx
10 disks or tapes.  More than that, tapes are cheaper.  Less than that,
disks are cheaper.

Both media come down in price at approximately the same pace, but disks come
from a lot more different manufacturers, so incrementally the jumps are very
small.  While a new tape platform comes out every 12-18 months, so the jumps
are less frequent.