Tape vs disk cost

Jack-rp9/bkPP+cDYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org jack-rp9/bkPP+cDYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 29 11:03:58 EDT 2010

Archival DVDs are out there.  Their main freture is they are very high quality
DVDs.

A lot has to do with how well the media is sealed
within it's plastic case, and how it oxidizes after the seal is
broken.  The ones with
an ultra thin gold coating do best but are 'pricy'.  I found some
documentation some
time ago that talked about archival optical media.  It is largely
copied from where
I found it, but here it is for reference.

                         http://docs.google.com/View?id=dgk73zm4_301d7858zf2

Not that it is the definitive guide, but it is a reasonable help to me.

In short: buy good media, treat them EXTREMELY well, occasionally make a copy
onto new media, rinse, repeat.

><> ... Jack
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart... Colossians 3:23