Tape vs disk cost

Mark J Dulcey mark-OGhnF3Lt4opAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 29 13:50:25 EDT 2010

On 3/29/2010 7:44 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> Everytime I re-examine this, roughly speaking, the breakeven point is approx
> 10 disks or tapes.  More than that, tapes are cheaper.  Less than that,
> disks are cheaper.

The math I posted earlier comes out a bit differently. The current
breakeven is at 35+ bare hard disks (or almost 90 tapes since they hold
less) or 25+ hard disks in cheap cases (over 60 tapes). Double those
numbers if you want a second tape drive as a backup. This is all based
on using 2TB hard drives, which have recently become cost effective.

So... tape remains attractive for big data centers, especially ones that
have to keep multiple generations of backups for legal reasons. But at
least on the numbers, external hard disks look like the winner for
individuals and small businesses, perhaps combined with online backup as
a second line of defense.

An alternative is redundant storage of data on multiple live systems.
That's Google's main line of defense. In a typical home scenario you may
have some data on multiple systems (so less need for tape/disk backups),
some that is only on one (the critical stuff to back up), and some that
you don't care about backing up at all (downloaded software install
files for example, since they'll usually be out of date by the time you
need them). So design your backup strategy to balance your cost and time
budget for backup against your paranoia level for your data.