Asynchronous File I/O on Linux

Richard Pieri richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 19:37:49 EDT 2010

On May 17, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Derek Martin wrote:

> It could potentially also work with asynchronous I/O... depending on
> the implementation (i.e. the I/O scheduler) and the hardware.

But then you'd be getting into things that the kernel and filesystem drivers have already optimized pretty well.  If you're going that deep then you might as well bypass the VFS entirely and use direct I/O on the raw device.  But you're still going to run into weirdness when you get high performance storage underneath.

--Rich P.