Is there any joy left in this industry?

Ben Eisenbraun bene-Gk2boCrsRs1AfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 28 13:56:36 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 01:41:13PM -0400, David N. Blank-Edelman wrote:
> (otherwise known as "You must carry a cell phone and can be called any
> time we want, even when you are not working") which has got to be *not
> so* fun.

It's a sysadmin job... having to participate in the on-call rotation seems
pretty standard to me.  When I have had to carry a pager in the past there
was usually a bonus associated with it as well.

If there's no "rotation" because you're the only sysadmin, then I would
suspect it's a small enough shop that the 2 AM page about the mail server
being down just means you need to get in an hour early to look at it before
the regular employees roll in.

-b

--
in the absence of a senior organizing principle, the organization will
oscillate.                                              <robert fritz>