Preferred linux distro for workstation usage?

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 14 09:08:03 EDT 2010

At the last installfest, one of the guys installed Mint. The only
problem we had was in getting the Brodcom wireless up and running. The
only distro that I am aware of that supports the broadcom wireless
firmware directly is Ubuntu (and family). With Ubuntu, the
b43-fwcutter package allows you do obtain the firmware automatically.
So, we deinstalled the Mint b43-fwcutter and installed the Ubuntu
package to get the wireless up quickly. But, I've had the broadcom
wireless installed successfully on SuSE and Fedora with minimal issues.

On 09/14/2010 08:33 AM, Sean Terrell wrote:
> If thats the question, Then why use Ubuntu over Debian, or Fedora or
> PCLOS over Red Hat? If you are asking what specifically using a Mint
> version changes over the Main Base version, there are many things.
>
> Linux Mint has a tremendous out of the box experience, similar to Ubunt=
> but much more aesthetically appealing, and comes with Flash, Java, and
> media codecs that allow a new user to be working and have DVD playback
> right out of the box.=20
>
> Keeping to a Ubuntu or Debian Base allows for the use of the Ubuntu and=

> Deb repositories, as well as mints own repositories. MintInstall is
> similar to Ubuntu's software manager, but allow allows users to assign
> ratings and comments about an application, helping new users to make
> decisions about the insane amount of software available.=20
>
> The newest version of the MintMenu, the mintified version of the gnome
> menu, includes automatic search of APT and the web. so if you are
> looking for something, and its not installed, Apt will start kicking ou=
> packages right in the main menu, and you can install via apt directly
> from the menu.=20
>
> The single biggest difference between Mint and any other distro is the
> community. I will not talk bad about any other community, but I will
> tell you that from my experience, Mint is top notch. Super friendly and=

> welcoming. tremendous support from knowledgeable persons. If you havent=

> already, check out the community. this might change your mind about
> using 1 distro over another.=20
>  =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix