laptops

Randy randyokc-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 20 14:20:21 EDT 2011

I'd have to agree with Irvin about the HP laptops.  I've had enormous
trouble with the Linux sound drivers and getting it to recognize the
microphone for my consumer-grade "HP Pavilion Entertainment PC".  The
microphone is still a problem.  Also it tends to run hot, early battery
failure (probably due to the overheating problems plus Linux's brain-damaged
shutdown not always shutting down when you ask it to), failure of HP to
replace the battery when I sent it in to them for warranty service where
that was my main complaint.  And now it looks like I am heading for a second
fan replacement as it is starting to grind.  OT: anyone know where to obtain
quality aftermarket battery pack?  It is such a blind good that I am
contemplating soldering in new batteries of identifiable manufacture rather
than buying a no-name battery pack.

I've been impressed with the business grade thinkpads.

I guess if you pay ~$1800 for a laptop they use better quality components
and design than if you pay ~$699.