[Discuss] drop box software

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Wed Aug 31 10:59:23 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 07:39:55PM -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > From: Derek Martin [mailto:invalid at pizzashack.org]
> >
> > I am extremely reticent to house any of my personal data on
> > someone else's computers...
>
> Supposing the data is encrypted, and inaccessible to the 3rd party, do you
> still care so much?

The data is always accessible to a third party if it is not on my
machines or connected to the internet.  Encryption is not a panacaea;
the devil is in the details.  Consider, for just one example, the
exploitation of 56-bit SSL encryption.  Also it matters when and how
the encryption was done, and often with proprietary solutions you
don't get to know that sort of thing.  So, yes, I still do care so
much. :)  At a minimum it means one needs to do some research to find
out if a particular solution is acceptable.  The alternative, doing
without, costs very little.  I can already make my data available via
website, so at most this would be something I did for cool factor or a
minimal convenience...  There's a gain to be had here, but it's tiny
(for me).

> > Does sparkleshare require the use of some
> > resource I don't control?
>
> It's currently git in the backend.  So you could own your own.

I may have a look at this, sounds interesting.

> > > I liked ifolder (from a user perspective, not an admin perspective).
> But
> > > since the implosion of novell, I've decided to forget about it, kiss it
> > > goodbye.
> >
> > Why?  It's fully GPLv2.  Even if Novell completely goes belly up, or
> > decides to take it proprietary, the OSS community can continue to
> > support this or a fork of it.
>
> Just try getting it to work.

Fair enough.

-=-=-=-=-