[Discuss] Discuss Digest, Vol 6, Issue 3

Dan Kressin dkressin at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 17:12:37 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----

> A corollary of this question is:  if you have an old Mac, how can you get the
> data off it if the machine is kaput?  My partner has one in the basement and
> when I plugged it in recently (motivated by all the hoopla about Jobs), the
> monitor would not come on.  (It's got a funky connector so ... no other
> compatible monitors in the house.)

No power light?  Or just no video?

I have two PowerMac 6100s that I'm testing prior to offering them on Freecycle.  One of them gave no video.  The culprit was a dead PRAM battery on the motherboard.  Apple's even got a TechNote about it.  Size 1/2AA, easily replaced ($8) and video was restored.  You might also try holding down Command("Apple")-Option-P-R while turning on the system.

-Dan, keeping my IIci because, well, I just like it for some reason..  Anyone got a 32k Cache card?  :-)