[Discuss] Linux box for under $20? TRENDnet

Rich Braun richb at pioneer.ci.net
Wed Nov 9 10:15:21 EST 2011

Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> asked:
> Do you have a model number for this device?

I didn't mention it because I'd like to hear comments about TRENDnet in
general.  If you go to microcenter.com and look for TRENDnet in the wireless
routers section, you find 10 current listings in the catalog.  4 are in the
price range I mentioned.

The one I bought, which also appears in the list at openwrt.org, is TEW-652BRP.

Am particularly curious about reports of "frequent drops" necessitating
reboots.  I don't consider such reports reliable unless they mention firmware
version, specifically 3.00b13.  Even Linksys had reliability problems in its
early days, fixed ages ago with firmware updates.  Uptime on new unit is now 6
days 20 hours, it's been flawless.

-rich