[Discuss] Do you know of a Dynamic DNS service that doesn't demand I install software?

Tom Metro tmetro-blu at vl.com
Mon Oct 24 20:25:11 EDT 2011

Bill Horne wrote:
> I'm looking for a free dynamic dns service provider...
> ...I can't find a...provider that I can use without installing
> software on my machine.

I thought most DDNS providers supported a mode where you could register
your IP using a simple HTTP request, which could always be triggered
from an if-up or whatever script via wget/curl.

Here's the HTTP REST API documentation for DynDNS:
http://dyn.com/support/developers/api/perform-update/

DHIS (http://dhis.org/) also supports this (and provides other
advantages). See the documentation:
http://dhis.org/WebEngine.ipo?context=dhis.website.updating.updates