[Discuss] The America Invents Act

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Tue Sep 27 21:07:24 EDT 2011

There are two things that are needed to improve patents for open source.

(1) A codification that publication prior to patent submission of
algorithms eliminate patentability. I think the AIA explicitly states this
as an exception of first to file.

(2) A recognition that "publication" means publicly available and not only
through noted journals. Sourceforge, github, etc should serve to provide
prior art.