[Discuss] Linux bootable tool to clean Windows NTFS infections?

Edward Ned Harvey (blu) blu at nedharvey.com
Fri Dec 14 11:16:42 EST 2012

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Tom Metro
>
> Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> > ...a few hours later or a few days later, it's always re-infected.
> > ... I haven't seen a single exception to this in the last 10 years.
>
> That hasn't been my experience.
>
> However, there is no disputing the advice that the only guaranteed
> solution is a clean reinstall or restore from a sufficiently old backup.

I've even had times when a specific identified worm has an offline removal tool specifically for *it* released by norton/eset/mcafee/microsoft.  It cleans, it passes the tests, and two weeks later, that machine is infected again, but nobody else on the network has the infection.  Reformat once, and problem never comes back.