[Discuss] 4-Bay NAS

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 20:38:07 EST 2012

I'm shortly going to be in the market for a 4-bay NAS box for my home storage.

I don't need CPU horsepower.  This will be pure file service.  Any computing needs will continue to be supported by my Mac minis.

I do want capacity, thus the desire for a 4-bay unit.  I want populate it with 4x2TB configured as RAID 5 and I can populate it myself after the fact.  It can ship empty or with a single drive that I can reconfigure myself after the fact unless I can get a good price on a fully populated chassis.

Quiet operation is required although silent operation isn't a necessity.

So I ask, what out there is going to fit the bill without breaking the bank?

--Rich P.