[Discuss] Comcast gets rid of the remaining analog channels

David Blank-Edelman dnb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Feb 9 11:01:58 EST 2012

On Feb 9, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:

> How can piracy be a consideration for channels that are already available at higher quality (the versions carried on cable are re-encoded at lower bitrates than the broadcasts) for free?

I'm not a cable person, but let me hazard a guess. I'm guessing that the company has a license with those providers to broadcast them only in a certain region. If you were to be able to capture the bits and stream/redistribute them (and there a number of different places where people actually do this), that would be a problem for them.

        -- dNb