[Discuss] "M-" notation

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Jul 6 14:03:15 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 01:50:04PM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 01:34 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> > On 7/6/2012 11:27 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> >> I've found that sed(1) tends to work well for me in my scripts. What I
> >> do in the scripts is something like:
> >
> > sed works, too.  I find tr to be easier/quicker to use than sed for
> > simple transformations.  I use sed for more significant edits.
> >
> Someone mentioned unicode. There are a number of unicode to ascii
> converters.

Can you elaborate?  I can't see how this would work unless the
"Unicode" file contained only a subset of Unicode which corresponds to
the 7-bit ASCII character set... in which case the Unicode version of
the file will be identical to the ASCII version of the file, possibly
save for a 3-byte encoding marker (which is optional and largely
unnecessary) at the beginning of the file.

-=-=-=-=-