[Discuss] Disk/Tape Eraser

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Tue Jun 12 07:45:33 EDT 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:

> On 6/12/2012 6:19 AM, Chris O'Connell wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a piece of hardware used to erase hard
>> disks/tapes/floppies?  I've done some googling, looked on Amazon and
>> NewEgg, but can't seem to find anything that fits the bill.
>
> Radio Shack used to sell bulk tape erasers. They're no longer available from

Does a degausser really erase a disk drive? The case is usually ferrous,
so I would expect the magnetic moment experienced by the disk platters to
be very attenuated. It isn't something I have tested, though. We have been
using the Wiebetech Drive Erazer for Sata and IDE drives, it has the
further advantage that the drive is reusable.

Of course dd can do pretty much the same thing (but may miss some remapped
sectors, if that matters).

dan feenberg