[Discuss] [Position-available] Laufer Wind Group - Full-time opportunity for a Linux developer

Marc Dee mdee at lauferwindgroup.com
Tue Jun 19 16:32:21 EDT 2012

Hello,

My company is developing a next-generation radar technology that will be the
core of our radar-activated obstruction lighting technology. We are
designing this application to facilitate the development of utility-scale
wind farms. Every proposal to build a new wind farm development inevitably
elicits objections from the community. Two of the more common NIMBY issues
include visual objections at night and environmental impacts on wildlife,
esp. bird deaths from bladestrikes.

In the wind industry, the FAA mandates that structures over 200 feet
maintain obstruction lights as a warning beacon to small aircraft pilots.
Advances in wind turbine and blade design have pushed heights well beyond
that threshold. Proposals to introduce dozens to over a hundred turbines lit
up at night naturally meet community objections.

Our company¹s system will keep lights off at night at all times, with the
exceptions of brief self-tests and when aircraft enter into the protected
airspace. As a secondary benefit birds that are attracted to lights and bats
that are attracted to light-loving insects, should be less likely to fly
into blade paths. Already a handful of communities and developers around the
country have embraced the concept.

The FAA has been studying the concept of radar-activated obstruction
lighting for several years and is in the process of introducing language
into regulations describing performance standards these systems will meet.
During that time, the company¹s founder and I have worked closely with the
FAA to understand their position and tack. We¹ve largely contributed to the
group¹s understanding of what existing technology is capable of doing.

Last summer, the FAA and the Department of Energy accepted a proposal to
conduct flight tests against our system on a DoE facility in Colorado. Our
current engineering schedule would be largely facilitated by the addition of
a Linux pro to our team in Bedford, NH.

Apparently Linux pros do not grow on trees. I recently posted on a few job
boards, but from my time in San Francisco and frequent visits to Seattle, I
know that programmer communities thrive and experts often have wide
networks. I¹m attaching a job description of the position with the hopes
that someone on this list might like the idea of working on radar
technologies and/or in the clean energy industry.

If you or anyone you know might be interested, we¹d love to hear from you.

Thank you,
Marc

Marc Dee
VP, Business Development