[Discuss] Ubuntu USB Drives appending _ to folder

jbk jbk at mail2.gis.net
Wed Jun 20 19:52:31 EDT 2012

On 06/20/2012 09:15 AM, Chris O'Connell wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 for a couple of Nagios boxes here in my office.
>   I've written a backup script that compresses all of my configuration files
> and copies them to a USB thumb drive each evening.  The exact path the
> files are copied to is /media/Nagios_Backup
>
> About 6 months ago I noticed that the /media folder contained a folder
> called "Nagios_Backup" and a folder named "Nagios_Backup_".  Much to my
> surprise, I found that for some reason the directory name of the thumb
> drive had changed to "Nagios_Backup_", and that my backups were going to
> the old directory, which seemed to reside only on the hard disks.

This is how I mount my USB drive for the BackupPC software I
use.

In fstab I created a line so the disk would get remounted if
the machine was restarted.

############################
LABEL=/backupdisk /data/bilbo/backup ext3 defaults 0 0
############################

My diskinit script is as follows minus some backuppc specifics:

###############################
#!/bin/bash
# USB backup disk initialization file

mount /data/bilbo/backup

if [ ! -d /data/bilbo/backup/BackupPC ];then
mkdir /data/bilbo/backup/BackupPC

chown -R backuppc.backuppc BackupPC
cd /

else

echo "BackupPC exists"

fi

# end of script
################################

To unmount the disk I have this script when switching disks:

#!/bin/bash

umount /data/bilbo/backup

This has worked flawlessly for 6 years now. I check my
backups regularly and restore some of the critical files to
disk just to check they are valid.

Hope this helps

Jim KR