[Discuss] Getting OS/HW details?

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Sun Nov 4 04:36:47 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 12:27:48PM -0400, Kurt Keville wrote:
> root at J1:~# uname -a
> Linux J1 3.0.0-9-generic #14-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 23 17:02:50 UTC 2011
> i686    athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> since it is Ubuntu and I have a date, I should be able to divine the
> distro... but 3.0.0-9-generic is unique to 11.10... and noone ever
> dowrevs a kernel, do they?

The other methods are faster and more reliable, and pretty ubiquitous,
so there's not a lot of incentive for someone to compile such a
database.  Distros probably never downgrade, but older distros may
well upgrade, and that doesn't take into account if (you are not the
admin of the box, and) the admin installs a custom kernel.

-=-=-=-=-