[Discuss] OT Volunteering for School Presentations

Ben Eisenbraun bene at klatsch.org
Tue Oct 23 12:56:23 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:15:08PM -0400, Daniel Barrett wrote:

> In the second, I demonstrated the Logo programming language and drew some
> spirograph-like pictures.  In one magic moment, one of the children deduced
> the need for loops ("Instead of writing the same instruction 10 times, can
> you just say, 'Do this ten times'?") In third grade!

Somewhat apropos of kids and programming, I read this essay last night:

http://worrydream.com/LearnableProgramming/

It has some pretty cool examples for how we could make programming more
approachable and easier to learn.

-ben

p.s.: random sig grabber strikes again.

--
it is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
                                        <albert einstein>