[Discuss] What the use of .bashrc

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 10:13:32 EDT 2012

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 07:50:48 -0400
Glenn Hoffman <glennhoffman at mac.com> wrote:
> existence of .bashrc, since I have never used it myself. What's the
> reason for a separate startup file for a non-login interactive shell?

As a matter of principle, an interactive session should have one and
only one login process associated with it. That's the login shell,
whether it's BASH or something else.

As a matter of practice, logging in on the console is a little
different from starting a screen session. Having separate login and
non-login run command files makes this easy keep sane. This is just one
practical example among many.

--
Rich P.