[Discuss] ftdi chipset and linux

Scott Ehrlich srehrlich at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 07:52:14 EST 2013

I recently purchased a new Yaesu ham radio with a CAT interface
(computer control).   The radio itself is about the size of a portable
gps unit.

There are apparently [at least] two USB CAT cables available - of
which one uses the ftdi chipset, which, reportedly, is the best/only
one that works with the radio.

So, once received from amazon, I'm going to test various Mac, Windows,
and Linux-based applications to work with the radio.

>From a chipset compatibility standpoint, what do people know about
ftdi and linux?   I know I could always visit the ftdi page, but
anyone with practical knowledge here would be great.

Also, I'd be looking into a cheap netbook (probably from amazon),
something small and simple, to use with the radio.   Insights here
welcome, too.

Thanks.

Scott