[Discuss] reverting apt-get upgrades

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 10:43:44 EDT 2013

Tom Metro wrote:
> On Debian derived systems using apt, I would think it would be a common
> desire to be able to undo a package upgrade by not only removing the new
> package, but reinstalling the old package.

I fail to see why this would be desired. Debian makes a point of
upgrades being stable where "stable" means that how the system operates
doesn't change. If you have package version X.N installed and
configured, then upgrade to version X.N+1, the upgrade won't change how
anything works aside from fixing bugs. This is a rule for Debian.
Exceptions that aren't part of a dist-upgrade are rare (I've personally
seen it only once over three major Debian releases). This stability is
usually one of the reasons for choosing Debian.

--
Rich P.