[Discuss] Thunderbird has an IM client?

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Jul 26 12:42:02 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 05:11:00PM -0400, Tom Metro wrote:
> Why? Only benefit I see to having this built-in to Thunderbird was:
>
>   Like any other type of Thunderbird account (e.g. email and RSS), Chat
>   is integrated with search.
>   Here's an example of email, Twitter, Facebook and Chat conversations
>   being found by Thunderbird's global search...
>
> OK, so you can log all your communication in one place, and search
> through it using a single interface. OK... An extension to search
> through Pidgin's logs could have accomplished the same thing.

For what it's worth, a very, very long time ago, on a day when I was
feeling particularly frustrated with both my e-mail client and my IM
client, I imagined I would start an open-source project that did both,
for exactly this reason.  I intended for it to also support NNTP and
RSS feeds (which were brand-stinkin'-new at the time, IIRC), all with
as consistent an interface as possible.

Then I remembered that I'm very lazy, and decided to go to the beach
instead.  =8^)

I still kind of like the idea though, and it actually makes me tempted
to try Thunderbird again (though other things tempt me not to).

-=-=-=-=-