[Discuss] Geoff Huston's talk at NANOG53

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sun May 12 15:38:32 EDT 2013

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> wrong.   As I see it, virtually all IP packets are "tunneled" inside
> of Ethernet packets for at least part of their flight time and I've
> yet to hear people complain about it.   We even connect routers (in

Remember SLIP and PPP? These two protocols tunnel IP packets through
RS-232 serial connections.

If you have DSL or FiOS then your Internet service is probably PPPoE: IP
encapsulated in PPP encapsulated in Ethernet then encoded for the copper
or fiber loop.

Encapsulating protocols within protocols isn't difficult and it isn't
expensive. DSL uses PPPoE for these two reasons, and FiOS continues to
use it for the same reasons. If a given implementation incurs excessive
overhead or latency then it's the implementation's fault, not the idea
of it.

> When can we actually stop worrying about people running obsolete
> networks?

I suggest circa 1998.

--
Rich P.