[Discuss] Scripting languages (was Re: rsync v. cp in data migration)

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon May 27 16:33:05 EDT 2013

Derek Martin wrote:
> Right, but you're making my point. :)  Python 2.6 is python 2.6,
> regardless of where it's installed.  There's no need to memorize (or

There's one place where Python 2.6 isn't Python 2.6 for any practical
purposes: where it isn't already installed. If I have a half-dead box,
or one that's locked into a certified configuration, or one that's
simply too small to hold a "big" interpreter, then my Python skills are
useless. On the other hand, my Bourne skills are useful everywhere that
claims even a vague similarity to UNIX.

I like Python. I use it for small applications. I don't use it for
systems scripting. Wrong tool for the job, IMO.

--
Rich P.