[Discuss] Hybrid drives and Linux?

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Wed Nov 13 15:21:10 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 07:06:16AM -0500, Anthony Gabrielson wrote:
> I ran a Seagate Hybrid in a 2010 Macbook Pro for about two years and
> then I upgraded it to Crucial M4 SSD.  I really thought the
> difference between a regular hard drive and a hybrid hard drive were
> negligible.

I have one in my Alienware laptop, which I've also had for about 2
years,  and my experience is not so dissimilar...  It does feel faster
than a mechanical drive, but not so much faster that I don't still
want to put a dedicated SSD in it. :)

I mostly use it for gaming on the road (under Windows), but I do also
dual-boot Linux on it, and I haven't had any sort of problems with it
under either OS.  Linux gets relatively light use: Mostly I use it for
checking e-mail and some very light duty programming, sometimes
serving as a platform for running SSH tunnels to remote systems.

-=-=-=-=-