[Discuss] unreadable sector

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Sat Oct 12 08:59:50 EDT 2013

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> I've brought this up before. One of the drives in my RAID reports an
> unreadable sector. I'm not worried about thisas this otherwise seems to
> be a serviceable driveand I take frequent backups. One question I might
> have is would I be better served by removing this from the RAID pair,
> and run a full destructive bad block scan 'badblocks -wsv /dev/sda | tee
> <some log file>'

Note that the Linux software RAID 1 or 5 won't be able to resilver the
other drive if the remaining "good" drive has a bad block. The resilvering
process will fail at the bad sector, mark the drive with the bad sector
failed, and not continue, even though the bad sector is not in use. The
resilvering program doesn't know about files. You can still recover your
data with file copies, but resilvering will fail.

dan feenberg