[Discuss] HA storage

Tom Metro tmetro+blu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 18:07:12 EDT 2014

Rich Braun wrote:
> I'm posting this after a frustrating 24 hours with old technologies
> AoE (ATA over Ethernet)...  AoE comes up OK but by itself
> accomplishes nothing beyond a collection of universally accessible
> raw disk blocks.

How about iSCSI? Is that any more solid on Linux than AoE?

You'll still need a clustering file system to layer on top if you're are
going to have multiple storage nodes, which is assumed. I guess once
you've take on that complexity, then there is less to be gained by
separating your storage nodes from your compute nodes (from an HA
perspective; may still make sense from a performance perspective).

(The old way to address this was with a dual-headed NAS, but clustering
file systems with multiple nodes seems to be the way the cloud providers
are heading. Software is cheaper than hardware...)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
The Perl Shop, Newton, MA, USA