[Discuss] Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: 234, client disconnected RHEL 6

Pete Jalajas pjalajas at tebuco.com
Mon Apr 7 22:43:32 EDT 2014

> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 14:16:53 -0400
> From: Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
> To: Boston Linux and Unix <discuss at blu.org>
> Subject: [Discuss] Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: 234, client
>         disconnected RHEL 6
> On RHEL 6, I get this message when I try to run a specific Java app.
> Other X apps seem to run ok. The specific app runs file from my user id
> on RHEL 5. I am able to run a Python app that uses Tkinter, and it calls
> another GUI written in Java. Also things like xeyes and xclock work
> fine. So, it has to be something related to the specific app.
>
> I Googled this, but I have not seen a solution or clue yet.
>
> --
> Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
> Boston Linux and Unix
> PGP key id:3BC1EB90
> PGP Key fingerprint: 49E2 C52A FC5A A31F 8D66  C0AF 7CEA 30FC 3BC1 EB90

Hi Jerry,

I vaguely recall, from years ago in days of old when MIT-MAGIC-COOKIEs
filled the air, that I had a similar error message and tracked it down to
bad permissions on a ~/.Xauthority file, or something like that.  I think
it was caused by trying to do a sudo connection, which made that file owned
by root, after which my regular user couldn't use it anymore.

Good luck,
Pete