[Discuss] Good and Bad Crypto

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 11:08:15 EDT 2014

Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> How many years ago did you see the lower life form rolling his/her
> own crypto like an idiot?  I will actually be shocked if it's anytime
> within the last decade.  Unless it was just an archaic system put in
> place over a decade ago and still in operation today.

I for one have not seen anything recent. I can't name a contemporary
operating system that doesn't include the FIPS 140 suite of algorithms
in one form or other and most carry FIPS certificates.

Actually, that's an important point. The question that's been asked: how
does one trust a given crypto library? By the certifications it carries
and, of course, understanding what those certifications really mean.

--
Rich P.