[Discuss] Good and Bad Crypto

Mike Small smallm at panix.com
Wed Apr 23 16:37:09 EDT 2014

Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> writes:
>> I would have thought the world doesn't trust OpenSSL much at all at this
>> exact moment, though perhaps it trusts that one module, maybe, well
>> except the openbsd people not so much:
>
> Yes, well, the Heartbleed stupid isn't in the certified module and it
> is one of the most spectacular security failures ever.

So this is kind of what troubles me in the line this thread has taken
re. checking that the encryption algorithms are well chosen and
implemented correctly.  In terms of the security of a system that seems
analogous to checking my data processing application is ready to go by
checking that it uses red/black trees, that its stable_sort sorts right
and that its hash tables use good hash functions. You'd want all that,
but it's just a beginning.